Saturday, September 28, 2013

Day 6



Another morning workout down. Feeling happy!
This one is the first metabolic workout and the replacement for all cardio-bunny work. Essentially, you get your heart rate up with bursts of work for a shorter period of time. There are studies that show this is the way to really train. I'm on board, because there is nothing more boring than spinning like on a gerbil on a wheel on the treadmill or elliptical!

 The workout consists of five exercises (speed squat, squat thrust, reverse lunge, prone touch and kettlebell swing) done for 30 seconds each (as many reps as possible) with a 30 second rest between each one. After you do all five with rest, you take a three minute breather, then repeat two more times. 

I loved pushing myself in this workout and did it to the best of my abilities.

 I was slightly annoyed that a huge gym like L.A. Fitness doesn't have kettlebells for the swing, as the tiny one I used to go to has a full set (plus those darned steps I need). I made do with a 12 pound dumbbell but I don't know if it's kosher. I definitely felt it, so I assume for now it's ok. It didn't fly toward the mirror or hit me in the face and I didn't lose my grip, so...A+!

Squat thrust was another back challenge for me. I've tried doing burpees in the past and all is ok until I have to jump back in from the plank position. I get a sharp pain in my back right away, without fail. I decided to the the squat thrusts (basically, the tail end of a burpee) with a Bosu ball round side up. A suggestion to make this exercise easier in the book is a step or a bench and I didn't feel like completing the workout downstairs, so I used the Bosu that was upstairs. I don't know if this made it more or less or equally challenging. I do know that it definitely got my heart rate up as intended!

One caveat is keeping a tight watch on the time. I have been using the Nike+ app on my nano to monitor, as most people on the Facebook group page recommended just using a phone or iPod. But it is kind of annoying to hold it and watch it (almost distracting in a way) and when I stuff it in my tank, I can't see it and have to guesstimate if I'm done. And forget about the squat thrust! The nano fell out of my shirt almost right away. Luckily it didn't take my headphones with it.

 I'm considering the interval timer,Gymboss. I've seen instructors on bodyrock.tv use this device and you basically set it to buzz at every interval. It's hands free and you just clip it on and don't have to monitor anything.


It seems super convenient and it's about $20 bucks, which isn't terrible. I might invest in it before my next timed metabolic.

The first time you do the timed metabolic workout, you only go through everything three times. The next time bumps up to a total of six. I can't imagine it as I was sweaty and exhausted after, but I'm sure by the time it's here (in another two weeks) I'll be ready.

I wore my new Lulu Ebb to Flow/Street (it's confusing because the tag says Flow and the website says Street) tank with Run: Inspire II crops and my new sneakers. I love these sneakers and am so glad I kept them. I'm also a pretty big fan of the tank, although I am a chronic shirt puller and it does stretch out a little from this habit. It provides great chest support, though, and makes the girls look good. I also LOVE the color and the simple style. If I get another color, I might just go a size down for a little more compression.


Afterwards, we stopped by Chipotle and I indulged in a chicken salad with medium spicy salsa, grilled veggies and a little guacamole (the book calls for grilled chicken salad and I figured it was close enough). My husband drove us to work and as I hoped out of the car, I realized the bag had leaked ALL OVER the passenger seat and onto my American Eagle leggings. Soaked the bottom COMPLETELY. Thank goodness I had changed at the gym. If this chicken juice had spilled all over my crops I would have been distraught haha! It looked like I had had a terrible accident and for a moment I wondered if I had lost control of my bladder since my husband insisted it hadn't come from the bag. But there was no denying that savory Mexican food smell. Ugh.Oh well. 

Tonight we might be seeing Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs II. Must not eat pretzels, candy, soda and all the things lolll.  I'm supposed to have an omelet for dinner as well which I'm pretty pleased with. Sometimes breakfast for dinner just hits the spot!

Tomorrow I have a Pilates class and am meeting up with a friend for lunch at P.F. Changs. I'll try to keep it healthy with some lettuce wraps or something. Luckily, T is similarly health-conscious so she won't mind ordering something less greasy and fried.

  Anyway, I'm off to barrel through the rest of the weekend. Before I know it, it will be Monday :(.


No comments:

Post a Comment