Monday, September 30, 2013

Day 8: Build on Your Success


Happy Monday.

Day 8 in the Drop 2 Sizes Road Map states:

"Action: Build on your success.
Last week I asked you to pick one thing to change that will get you closer to your goals.  What was that one thing? How did you do last week? Were you successful? If you were successful, then keep it up and today choose another change you want to work or improve on.  Small changes each week will lead to success. Have a great workout!"

My goal for last week was to stick to the food plan as closely as possible. By trial and error all summer, I was realizing before I started this book that something is off in my diet. As I get older, my metabolism has slowed as well, which doesn't help things. Getting to that perfect macro nutrient split is quite a challenge, especially when you work 500 feet away from a Wawa. And just being a human being with cravings for deliciousness can veer you off course if you let it.  So, I was determined to not veer off course.

Looking through my log during the week, I stuck pretty closely to the plan. One night I had fajitas (homemade) instead of a turkey burger with sweet potato. I still passed on the tortilla, which makes me feel triumphant LOL. Friday morning, I didn't make time for breakfast before my workout. If it's something I can grab or toast really quick, it is easier, so egg breakfasts need to be planned ahead. Friday evening, I did a pretty good job not noshing on superfluous things at Shabbat dinner. I stuck with Mediterranean salad and some meat. I got most of my protein goal in, and I think that is a vast change from my diet leading up to this.

My first splurge on the weekend was Chipotle for lunch as mentioned in the last post.
Saturday evening was a fiasco. I hadn't had time to have my egg-omelet dinner (played Candy Crush for about an hour LOL), so was starving by the time we went to the movies. Indulged in a lot of popcorn, about 15 pieces of my kryptonite, Sour Patch Watermelons, and couldn't stop at five pretzel bites with cheese. Probably had around ten. Comparatively, in the past I would have probably had more candy and pretzels. I just wish I had went with two splurges instead of all three.  And two splurge meals in ONE day is probably NOT the best idea.

Sunday was supposed to be my only official planned splurge (up to three in a week) meal with a friend at P.F. Changs. We noshed on chicken lettuce wraps (not terrible nutrient wise) and our usual dynamite shrimp and crisp green beans. Both of those are fried, but P.F. Changs has significantly cut down their serving size of the shrimp, so there was less to eat, which is great haha. The green beans were so delicious paired with spicy sauce. It was hard to stop, and this particular portion was larger than in the past. I think I had about a quarter of the plate, and there was about half left when we finished, so that would make sense.

We went a little shoe crazy at DSW and I walked out with two pairs. Some booties I had had my eyes on, and a sexy opened toe shoe I could not resist. I've had my eyes on the Zannotti version for awhile, so this price was palatable enough.









I made a DELICIOUS flank steak for dinner. Honestly, the best protein I have ever made, probably.  It was nicely spiced, with a bit of a dijon flavor, and cooked to the perfect medium rare temperature. Toot, toot!

So, when I look back on the week as a whole, I think I WAS successful for the most part. I got my Vitamin D and Omega 3 in every day and added my multivitamin mid-week. I stuck to the food plan about 80% of the time.

Things to work on: 
I need to have a protein shake every day to hit that macro nutrient goal.
I must control my splurge meals.
I need to make the egg breakfasts a priority. In general, breakfast must be a priority.

In other news, I happened to come across a usable step outside of the step class! Today I performed step ups and they were exhausting. I also figured out the correct way to do reverse lunges with rows. It certainly was not the way I did it last time haha. This time, I only used one hand, and when I powered up from the lunge, I had to squeeze my arm back to get that row motion in. And I had to do it pretty speedily. Definitely felt it this time!

Now, to make the rest of the day a good one.

xoxo.



No comments:

Post a Comment